Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First week!

It's been a week since show-and-tell (yes, I am slow in updating my blog), and there's a lot that has happened. 

First up, show-and-tell. I really like how vocal some people are during this segment. A lot of amazing feats were shown and it seems like there are quite a few artists/photographers around. I'm also surprised that there were so many harmonica players, as opposed to guitar, and piano players. There were a few mess-ups during show-and-tell (must have been Murphy's Law), but I think the audience could still understand the speaker and his/her passion, so that was alright. I rushed through my own show-and-tell because I was too nervous, but I'm glad some people asked me questions afterwards about it. In any case, my talent isn't really scrapbooking, but more like random stuff I do that is best presented in a scrapbook. Despite having such a wonderful show-and-tell though, I don't really remember a lot of people. I guess there are just too many faces to remember. (Also, no one pole-danced.)

Secondly, our group was formed! I wasn't really sure of the grouping policy, but I really wanted to do my final project with Yujing and Jin Guan, people whom I know already. Thus, I thought that it would have been better for me not to do the Facebook project with them in case I wasn't allowed to do the Final Project with them. In any case, I did ask around after show-and-tell but nobody picked me. :(

Anyone around at that time can testify that the situation was like that, except that it had involved more jumping, hopping and flailing around on my part. I shouted "Pick me!!!" as well.

But hey, I'm happy with my group, just worried that I might not be able to work with them for the final project, since I don't understand the grouping policy. Our fourth member is Shaohua, who seems to be good at coding too! But since the four of us can code, I think we might fall into the danger of being very good at coding but not being good at marketing/designing etc., but let us persevere!

We have also thought about our app that would change the world. For now, it's going to be kept secret, so I can't write much about it. (Wait until next week, people.)

Saturday lectures were interesting because I've never really fiddled with AWS. There was also Git, but for us, we were at the back trying out AWS still. (I think we were having some file permissions problems while trying to transfer files using Filezilla.) I left after lunch although I wasn't really intending to umm, leave after eating free-food. It was mainly because Geekcamp was also happening at the same time, and I really wanted to go for the talks, e.g. the Arduino talk. Also, the lectures in the afternoon were on PHP, MySQL, Javascript and AJAX, and from what I read in the slides, they seem to touch on those topics very lightly. After weighing in the pros and cons, we decided to skip those lectures. 

Lastly, our group has met up recently to discuss about our app and workplan, but we're still trying out the framework that we will be using. Hopefully, we can start coding tomorrow. Also, it seems that we will be coding throughout the weekend, just like what we did in CS3217. (Time to bring in the blankets and hot water bottles into COM1!)

4 comments:

  1. "I wasn't really sure of the grouping policy, but I really wanted to do my final project with Yujing and Jin Guan, people whom I know already."

    You can. No restrictions on Final Project group. You just cannot work with them for the next assignment + FB Seminar.

    "I did ask around after show-and-tell but nobody picked me."

    Aww. *comfort*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's okay, I managed to find a team for the third project.

      Delete
  2. Yuling and Yujing.. that gets confusing. >.<

    In any case as Ben says, yes you can choose anyone for the final project. Remember now to form up your seminar groups though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Yujing's seminar group team accidentally emailed me instead of Yujing, so it looks like you're not the only one who is confused.

      Yup, I've formed teams for the seminar assignment already!

      Delete