Saturday, October 6, 2012

Seventh Week

In the seventh week, we talked about UI/UX and Team Dynamics. I liked Monday's talks a lot. Su Yuen's demonstration was good and effective (as opposed to all of us listening passively). Kudos to Junwei for drawing out the UI of the mobile app! 

The second talk by Vincent Woon was good also, and it talked about MBTI types, which is something that I've been interested in. 



Haha, the picture only helps if you know your own MBTI type. You can try taking the test here (it's under Jung test). Some of the other tests are quite interesting also (like the Right Brain vs. Left Brain one. Apparently, I am more right brain dominant - "Right brain dominant individuals are more visual and intuitive. They are better at summarizing multiple points, picking up on what's not said, visualizing things, and making things up. (HAHA) They can lack attention to detail, directness, organization, and the ability to explain their ideas verbally, leaving them unable to communicate effectively." Oops, does that mean I'm bad at communication >.<)

In any case, I am a INTP (lol, the owl.) To be honest, it's not wise to pay too much attention and label people by their types (it may not always be right), but every time I think I'm not like that, I go back and read my INTP profile and it turns out that I'm exactly like that. *sighs* 

I've also picked up this personality test on people's favourite colour. It is surprisingly accurate unless your favourite colour is blue or black - I think too many people like these colours, maybe because "blue" is a socially acceptable favourite colour, i.e. people won't judge you for liking blue. From the description, people who like black seem very emo but most of the people I ask aren't really like that in real life, so black might be inaccurate! 

My favourite colour is yellow! It fits me quite well. The information-gathering part is interesting, because recently, I've begin to recognise and see that people are very affected by the company they keep, so in a way, it's possible to say that sometimes, people are the product of their relationships. I don't think I can explain this part well, but something resonated in me when I thought of seeing people not as individuals alone, but with whom they are connected with too. I remember in Prolog, the lecturer asked us to see that 2 and 4 are connected by x^2. Rather than seeing 4 = f(2), where f = x^2, it's more of seeing 2 and 4 as objects and seeing that there is a relationship f between 2 and 4, and somehow, that's what I'm seeing in real life. The links don't really pertain to people alone, but also things, and somehow, I feel that seeing relationships between two objects comes very naturally to me, i.e. I link everything up. In a way, that makes it easy for me to guess things/gather information. (The fact that I keep learning how to stalk people also helps I guess.) Actually, most of the time, I don't think I consciously gather information; I just end up asking questions and somewhat remember them, so when I'm pondering over stuff, my brain recalls relevant information (because I see links everywhere), and so yeah, I end up knowing stuff most of the time. The times where I do gather information consciously, I try and gather from people who are experts in their fields - like if I want to think about Twitter, my brain tends to link certain people up with the topic "Twitter" and I end up asking these people about Twitter. With regards to information-gathering, I also tried reading minds but that didn't turn out well. Okay, I hope I didn't make my information-gathering skills sound very stalker-ish, or bad. >.<

There's also the part about "You like to think you are intelligent and well-educated, with knowledge about many topics." Actually, I tend to think that I'm a jack of all trades and that I know a lot of useless information (like how to operate a photocopying machine and do stuff like combine images.). I pretty much suck at a lot of stuff, but I really like to go and do all kinds of stuff. However, I think that prevents me from being skilled at a certain component, which is a bit sad. Even my choice of degree agrees with the fact that I'm a jack of all trades (but master of none.) I think the world generally agrees that being skilled at one thing is more important, but with Maths and Computer Science, I sometimes find links between them, and there's this synergy involved when I learn both of them. In a way, my internal compass keeps prompting me to learn/try out stuff but whether or not it's useful in life, I won't really know until much later. (Haha, maybe I'll end up working in a Spanish/Japanese firm. You never know!)

In any case, the colour personality test is pretty accurate. Colin's favourite colour is orange! It fits him quite well too! But with the MBTI, take the results with a pinch of salt. 

We also had to write for our two case studies this week. I ended up reading a few other people's case study and there are a lot of differences between theirs and mine. I find Junwei's post about UI/UX pretty decent and well-covered! Kai's post about the usage of colours is also good. To be honest, sometimes UI designing is very common sense, so it's hard to explain because you won't really know what to explain. I'm not particularly good at UI/UX, because for some particular reason, no one really hands me the UI/UX parts to do (I end up doing logic most of the time). As it is also, I sometimes hand people the UI/UX parts to do (lack of time for me to code, or just work allocation in general). For the latter, it's interesting to see how people translate what you plan (UI-wise) into something better, or something worse, so I can't really tell whether I'm terrible at UI/UX. Mmm. To be honest, I find UX a bit iffy, in the sense that I feel that some good UX designs are just trends, and maybe after a few years, things will change, and those good UX designs might fade out. But being a UX expert probably means you keep up with the trends too. :) 

For the second case study, I was kind of shocked at the lack of panicking in the question that asked you, "what will you do if you were Jeremy". I like Div's answer because it sounds terribly in character (as opposed to out of character.) Might actually be something that I do (the alcohol bit, the doll bit is a bit hard and if I wanted to 打小人, I'd rather do that in Hong Kong), but alcohol is expensive. :(

I disagree with quite a few of the answers for the second case study though. To be honest, I didn't feel that the group wasn't very committed. They really did a lot of work throughout the entire project! It's just that they were busy with their finals, and could not spare the time to help debug the work at the end. Commitment is not just about the people who spend time on the project when it is critical, but it's also about the people who spend a lot of time throughout the entire project. 

I think the second case study was quite well-chosen, especially when we've just formed groups for the final project. It really cautions us to be aware of potential pitfalls. In addition, I feel that the group wasn't terribly dysfunctional (i.e. people who hate each other etc.), so it's hard to gauge the exact reasons why they failed. Moreover, who could know that being agreeable could lead to so many problems? In all, it was quite an interesting case study to teach us about team dynamics.

To end off, here's a youtube video of a song (Korean) that I've been listening to.



(To be honest, I first heard a live version of this song, and I was absolutely stunned by the continuous-singing-without-much-breaks component of the song. I guess I just like songs that keep running and moving.)

No comments:

Post a Comment