Sunday, September 23, 2012

Most Exciting Day

I just had the most exciting time of my life.

I accidentally switched off my laptop while the battery was taken out, and it died. Like, terribly. It started up but I couldn't get into my login screen because it just couldn't load that part. Imagine my horror! 

D:

In any case, after trying to use their tools, I ended up with something that I could log in, but without any fonts. Haha, so I had all my desktop icons without any words below them. When I opened up directories, all I could see were the folders/file icons but absolutely no words to indicate what they were. At the address bar, instead of the usual " > Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Windows > System32", all I saw was " > > > > ". Honestly!

Thank goodness I found my way to running cmd.exe as administrator (had to find out where the file was located, so that I could right-click it to run as admin, and even so, I only recognised that command because of its icon) and do a "sfc /scannow"

And that took a very long time. But it recovered mostly everything. Had to reinstall/reconfigure node + git. Had to break a lock in mongodb also. (Ummm, anyone knows how to break it correctly? I umm... just deleted it.)

But everything's back to normal, I think. 

(Haha, there was this time also that I was really panicking because I thought command prompt wasn't working because I did "ls" and nothing was showing! Until my brother came in and told me "windows doesn't have ls". =.=)

Anyway, regardless of what they tell you about not leaving the battery in your laptop, just leave the battery in. Or you could well, gain a good experience in spending 5 hours trying to recover your laptop. 

It was really fun though. :D

3 comments:

  1. Well done!! Level up!

    I like the way you say "It was really fun though. :D"

    Truly geek girl. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kinda scary though how Windows can break so easily just by not shutting down properly. >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think it's just my laptop. It has crashed pretty badly in the past few months, so yeah... >.< (My fault really!)

      Delete